As a result of the 2012 elections, pro-tenant legislators might be taking the NYS Senate!
"Republicans currently hold 33 of the 62 seats in the Senate. On Tuesday, Democrats had clearly won 31 seats and Republicans 30 in a chamber that will grow to 63 seats next year because of redistricting." NY Times.
The 2012 Election
That may not be enough for the GOP to prevail. With a lot of support from Tenants PAC and individual tenants, Democratic Senators may have the majority. These legislators may make the difference since they've now been elected to the State Senate:
- Joseph Addabbo (D) in Queens
- George Latimer (D), currently an Assembly Member, in Westchester
- Ted O'Brian (D), in Rochester
- Terry Gipson (D) (Poughkeepsie)
- Cecilia Tkaczyk (D) (Mohawk & Hudson Valleys) - is still fighting for the seat, just a few votes ahead of her opponent.
Yay, Tenants PAC!